Monday 10 February 2014

Roses Are Red - Violets Are Blue


Have you ever tried writing a “roses are red” poem?   I have vague memories of trying to compose one in primary school although I am not sure how successful I was.

If it has always been your aim then this is the week to do it what with Valentine’s Day on Friday.  Writing is one thing, however actually sending it to them is another.  How brave are you feeling?

We all know the well-known verse:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
And so are you
So where could you start?  I guess the trick is in the second line – while you don’t have to use “violets are blue”, just ensure that whatever word you end with on the second line is easy to rhyme with the last word of the poem.
Here are some examples:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
You may not know this
But I'm falling for you

 

Roses are red
Violets are blue
The first day I saw you
That's when I knew


Roses are red
Violets are blue
My life would be hell
If I didn't have you

And my all time favourite…
Roses are red
Violets are blue
If I had chocolate
I would give it to you
 

Doesn’t that just sum up how much you love them; after all you wouldn’t share your chocolate with just anyone would you?

And if you need chocolates or roses to go with your special poem then you know who to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment